DEBEN (Rural District Council)
(I have no image, any image is welcome !)
Arms : Barry wavy of six Argent and Azure a Lymphad Or flying Flags and Pennon of St. George on a Chief Sable a Saxon Crown between two Garbs Or.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from the Battlements of a Tower Or a demi Stag Argent attired proper unguled Or gorged with a Collar Gules charged with three Escalops Or pendent therefrom a Cross engrailed Or and supporting with the legs an Anchor Sable.
Motto: 'DEBENTUR OMNIA DEO' - We owe everything to God.
The arms were officially granted on August 30, 1963.
The white and blue waves on the shield represent the rivers and seaboard, especially the River Deben, which gives the district its name. The gold ship alludes to the shipping of the Deben and the coast. Its flags of St. George refer to local ships sent to augment the fleet which met the Spanish Armada in 1588. The black "chief" represents the Augustinian order of "black canons" at Butley Abbey. It can also be taken to represent the burial chamber in which was discovered the Saxon ship-burial at Sutton Hoo, the Saxon crown alluding to the belief that the burial was of the East Anglian king Aethelhere. The gold wheatsheaves symbolise a rural district.
The tower battlements refer to Orford, and are from the tower on the seal of the former borough of that name. A white stag was a supporter of the Arms of Sir Robert Walpole, Earl of Orford, and here it supports a black anchor from the Arms of Admiral Edward Russell, an earlier Earl of Orford whose earldom became extinct in 1727. The red collar bearing three gold scallop shells, is derived from the arms of the Seckford family; and from the collar hangs the gold cross of the Uffords, Earls of Suffolk, which is also to be found in the arms of East Suffolk County Council.
The motto contains the district's name.
Literature : Information provided by Laurence Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org)