Dillingen an der Donau
DILLINGEN AN DER DONAU
|German||In Blau ein silberner Schräglinksbalken, oben eine schrägrechte goldene Lilie, unten zwei sechsstrahlige goldene Sterne.|
The arms of Dillingen are based on the oldest known seal of the city, which dates from the late 13th century. The bend is taken from the arms of the Counts of Dillingen, who ruled the city until 1258. The fleur-de-lis and the stars are symbols of the St. Mary, the patron saint of the diocese of Augsburg, to which the city belonged. Around 1500 the arms were shown with lions instead of the fleur-de-lys.
The arms hardly changed during the centuries. The main changes were that the lily was sometimes shown below and the stars above, or that the fleur-de-lis was replaced by a rose or other flower. The arms are used as above since the late 18th century.
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (1900)
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site