Diocese of Evansville
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF EVANSVILLE (Dioecesis Evansvicensis)
Established : 1944
The crescent symbolizes two important elements; 1. Evansville is situated on a bend of the Ohio River. As a result it can suitably called a ¨Crescent City and 2. the crescent symbolizes the Blessed Virgin Mary, who is the Patroness of the diocese.
The embatteled division line represents the original Fort Vincennes, established as a trading post, which suggests that the diocese derives from historic Vincennes, Indiana, and that the Catholic Faith is a mighty fortress.
The two waves at the bottom of the shield represent the waters of the Wabash and Ohio Rivers. The Wabash forms the western boundary of the diocese, and the Ohio forms its southern boundary. Spritually the waves represent the cleansing waters of Baptism.
Arms of Bishops
Henry Joseph Grimmelsmann (1944-1965)
Paul Francis Leibold (1966-1969)
Francis Raymond Shea (1969-1989)
Gerald Andrew Gettelfinger (1989-2011)
Charles Coleman Thompson (2011-2017)
Joseph Mark Siegel (2017-present)
Literature : Diocesan website, 2017