Diocese of Jefferson City
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF JEFFERSON CITY (Dioecesis Civitatis Jeffersoniensis)
Established : 1956
The red Phrygian cap honors president Thomas Jefferson for whom the diocesan city is named. The Phrygian cap became a mark of the patriots during the French Revolution. President Jefferson and other writers of the Declaration of Independence proposed including the symbol in the nations official seal.
One crescent honors the State and the other crescent honors the Blessed Virgin Mary in her title of Immaculate Conception, patroness of the RC-Church in the USA. The blue cross stands for the Faith.
Arms of Bishops
Joseph Mary Marling (1956-1969)
Michael Francis McAuliffe (1969-1997)
John Raymond Gaydos (1997-2017)
William Shawn McKnight (2018-present)
Rate these arms / rate this page :
Literature : Information from Hans van Heijningen