Diocese of Norwich
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF NORWICH
Azure, three mitres, two and one, Or.
The arms were recorded at the College of Arms.
The arms are first found on the seal of William Bateman (1341-57). The meaning is not fully clear. They may refer to the attributed arms of the royal house of East Anglia, but another explanation states that they may possibly represent the union in the See of Norwich of the Bishoprics of Thetford, Dunwich and Elmham in the 11th century.
Arms of Bishops
John Thomas Pelham (1857-1893); Woodward, 1894.