Diocese of York
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
ARCHDIOCESE OF YORK
Gules, two keys in saltire argent, in chief a regal crown Or.
The arms were recorded at the College of Arms.
This Coat of Arms first appears to have been used by Archbishop Robert Waldby (1397-1398). The Crown originaly more resembled the Papal Tiara,
but was after the Break with Rome made into a Royal Crown. The Arms thus alludes to St Peter. Anciently the Archbishop used as their official Arms a Shield
identical with that of the See of Canterbury.