Duchy of Auschwitz
|Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of the Austro-Hungarian Empire
DUCHY OF AUSCHWITZ
The Duchy of Auschwitz (now Oświęcim Poland) was bought by the Polish Kings in 1457. After the Polish Division in 1772 the Duchy became part of Austria-Hungary. The eagle is either the old eagle of Silezia, or the eagle of Poland. The colours were changed to silver and blue in 1806.
Literature : Ströhl, 1890