|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted in 1950 and are a combination of the image of the patron saint, St. Martin of Tours, and the arms of the diocese and State of Trier. The combination already appears in the oldest known seal of the city, dating from 1424. The city belonged since 1371 to Trier.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.