Engineer Center and School, US Army
ENGINEER CENTER AND SCHOOL, US ARMY
(Shoulder Sleeve Insignia)
(Distinctive Unit Insignia)
(Device or Coat of Arms)
(Flag, Engineer Center and Fort Leonard Wood)
(Flag, Engineer School)
|English||Shoulder Sleeve Insignia. Description: On a scarlet lozenge with rounded corners, 2 inches (5.08cm) in width and 3 inches (7.62cm) in height, a torch surmounted by a castle, all white.
Distinctive Unit Insignia. Description: A silver color metal and enamel device 1 5/16 inches (3.33cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Gules, a triple turreted castle Argent, within a diminished bordure of the like. Attached above the shield the crest of the device of the U.S. Army Engineer School: From a wreath Argent and Gules a lamp of knowledge Or. Attached below the shield a red scroll arced around the bottom and bordered in silver and bearing the inscription "ESSAYONS" in silver.
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia: The colors scarlet and white are traditionally used for the Corps of Engineers. The castle is taken from the Corps of Engineers Insignia. The torch represents the training mission.
Distinctive Unit Insingia and Device: The shield is red with the white border, the Engineer colors, charged with the castle of the Engineers. The Crest is the lamp of knowledge and the Motto is the motto of the Corps of Engineers.
The Shoulder Sleeve Insignia was originally approved for the U.S. Army Engineer Center and Fort Belvoir on 11 February 1959. It was amended on 19 June 1981 to extend authorization for wear to personnel assigned to the U. S. Army Engineer School. The School was relocated to Fort Leonard Wood, MS on 1 June 1988 and the Insignia was redesignated for the U.S. Army Engineer Center and Fort Leonard Wood. It continues to be authorized for wear by the U. S. Army Engineer School. The Distinctive Unit Insignia was originally authorized for The Engineer School, Fort Humphreys, VA, on 27 June 1929. The Insignia was amended to extend authorization for wear to personnel of the U.S. Army Engineer Center and Fort Belvoir on 14 December 1976. On 21 August 1987 the lettering of the motto was changed. On 21 December 1994 the authorization for wear was amended to include all personnel assigned to the U.S. Army Engineer Center and Fort Leonard Wood. The Device was approved on 2 December 1924.
The flag of the U.S. Army Engineer Center and Fort Leonard Wood is scarlet with white fringe. The Engineer branch insignia is centered on the flag (TIOH drawing 5-1-76). The flag for the U.S. Army Engineer School is scarlet with white fringe. The device of the school is centered on the flag (TIOH drawing 5-1-233).
Literature: Images and Information from the Institute of Heraldry, US Army.