FARNHAM (urban district council)
Incorporated into : 1974 Waverley
Arms : Vert a Castle with three towers Or on a Chief Argent a Mitre of the first garnished of the second between a Sprig of Oak and a Sprig of Hop both fructed of the field.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours, in front of a Stag's Head affrontée proper issuant from six Ears of Wheat fesswise three to the dexter and three to the sinister Or a stone headed Axe also proper and a Pastoral Staff Gold in saltire.
Motto: 'BY WORTH'
The arms were officially granted on October 11, 1950.
The Castle represents the stronghold built at Farnham in the twelfth century by Henri du Blois, Bishop of Winchester, and the mitre and pastoral staff allude to the town's long associations with the Sees of Winchester and Guildford. The green field, the stag's head, and the oak refer to the parks and woodlands of the district, while the ears of wheat stand for agriculture, and the sprig of hops for produce for which Farnham was formerly famous. The stone axe refers to the prehistory of the district.
The motto By Worth is taken from the name of one of the town's benefactors, John Byworth. A clothier by trade, he presented the town in 1623 with the Byworth Cup.
The arms are now used by the town council.