|Heraldry of the World|
|Australian heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Australia
The arms were granted on March 18, 1981.
Much of the City's previous insignia is incorporated in the arms. The stag's head is taken from the Scottish family of Thomson to perpetuate the memory of Geelong's first mayor, Dr Alexander Thomson. The sheep, wheat and grapes as symbols of local industries, were major elements in the old insignia. The patriotic Lion of England and Unicorn of Scotland have been transformed into sea-creatures, with mural crowns referring to the City status and the anchors to its role as a port.
The old design was created around 1850, but was not approved by the College of Arms.
This design featured images of Geelong’s early industries; sailing, wool, wine and wheat production, and a kangaroo as an inescutcheon.
Literature : Information and image obtained from Denis Towner (firstname.lastname@example.org)