|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were officially granted in 1952.
The oldest seal of the city dates from the 14th century and shows only a shield with a cross. This is the arms of the State of Fulda, to which the city belonged at the time. On the 17th century seals the above arms appeared. They show the local patron saint, St. James the elder, with a small shield in which there are two crossed sticks. These are one of the symbols of the saint, who was clubbed to death.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.