|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
In the waves of the sea, five herring entering a herring net pendant from the sinister chief, all Proper.
Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Semper Tibi Pendeat Halec".
The arms were granted on April 27, 1927.
Inveraray, erected into a Burgh or Barony in 1474 in favour of Colin, 1st Earl of Argyll and Lord High Chancellor of Scotland, was made a Royal Burgh in 1648 by King Charles 1.
The arms are most unusual in that the blazon is "all Proper". They follow the device on the Burgh seal known from 1684.
The herrings swimming into the net recall the famous herring fishing industry of Loch Fyne on which the town stands.
The Latin motto is something of a mystery; one suggestion is that it means "May the fish sauce always be ready for you".
Seal of Inverarayas used in the 1890s
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms as used in the town (source)
In the waves of the sea, five herring entering a herring net pendant from the sinister chief, all Proper. Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol under the same this Motto "Semper Tibi Pendeat Halec".
The arms were granted on May 21, 1998.
These are the Burgh arms with a crown of a community council.
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Urquhart, 1974