|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
In the waves of the sea, five herring entering a herring net pendant from the sinister chief, all Proper.
Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Semper Tibi Pendeat Halec".
The arms were granted on April 27, 1927.
Campbeltown was created a Burgh of Barony in 1667 in favour of Archibald, 9th Earl of Argyll, and was raised to a Royal Burgh by King William III in 1700.
The quartered arms show :
- I the Castle of Kilkerane in Kintyre said to have been built by King James IV; the colours chosen combine the Royal colours with Thistle green which was much used by King James IV as a livery colour; the use of green and gold is doubly appropriate as these are the ancient colours of Dalriada, and Campbeltown is built on the site of its capital Dalruadhain.
- II The gold and black gyronny of the Campbell Earls and Dukes of Argyll, first borne by their forebears, the Campbells of Lochow.
- III The black galley of Lorn, with the flaming beacon at its masthead, the Lordship of Lorn being now held by the Dukes of Argyll.
- IV A black fret on a silver field, taken from the arms ofTollemache of Helmingham in Suffolk, to commemorate the long association with the town of Elizabeth Tollemache, wife of Archibald, 1st Duke of Argyll; she lived at Limecraigs House nearby, died there in
1735 and is buried in Campbeltown.
The crest of a herring refers to the local fishing industry and also commemorates the time of the Herring Bounty when hundreds of herring "busses" used to assemble at Campbeltown to receive the Bounty.
The Latin motto has been freely translated as "Fortune helps those who help themselves".
Seal of Inverarayas used in the 1890s
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms as used in the town (source)
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Support the site:
Click on the image to support the site !
|Support the site:|
Download shop with old heraldic books
Literature : Urquhart, 1974