Isle of Ely
ISLE OF ELY
Arms : Argent three Bars wavy Azure a Pile Gules charged with three open Crowns Or.
Crest : On a Wreath Argent and Azure a dexter cubit Arm the wrist charged with the Wake Knot proper the hand grasping a Trident Or entwined by an Eel also proper.
The arms were officially granted on May 1, 1931.
Before 1931 the County Council used the arms of the See of Ely. This is a red shield with three open crowns, itself derived from the attributed arms of the Kingdom of east Anglia, which are three crowns on a blue field. When the official grant was awarded, the crowns were placed on a red pile. The blue and silver waves represent the many waterways of the county.
The crest is derived from the device of the City of Ely. The Arm holds a trident around which is wrapped an eel. The name Ely is derived from the word eel. The arm is charged on the wrist with a Wake knot. This commemorates King Herward the Wake, who held out against Norman invaders for many years in the Ely area.
Literature : Image and information provided by Laurence Jones.