|Heraldry of the World |
|Lithuanian heraldry portal|
County : Tauragė
The arms were officially granted on November 4, 1611 and regranted on November 24, 1993.
The arms is most likely related to Jonas Sapiega, the chancellor of Lithuania, who got the town rights for Jurbarkas from King Sigismund Vasa. Three fleur-de-lys are the apocryphal first arms of the princely Sapiega house.
Revoked in 1776, self-restored in 1791 with a mistake: the two fleur-de-lys changed to a double fleur-de-lys, regranted in 1792 with one more mistake: one over two.
In the early 20th century a variant with fleur-de-lys but one over two was used. Regranted in 1970 with the same mistake, and banned in the same year and finally regranted in 1993.
Literature : Rimsa, 1998