Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on February 1, 1947 and the new arms on March 5, 1985.
The old arms (see below) show an axe first mentioned for the council in roll of arms dating from 1783 and again shown on the parish seal from 1789. The axe itself is derived from the arms of the family Moerman van Harelbeke, Lords of Ledegem from 1738-1793.
The new arms show the old axe in the first quarter. The second and third quarter show the arms of Sint-Eloois-Winkel. The fourth quarter represents Rollegem-Kapelle, which had no own arms. The saltire is taken from the arms of the De Visscher family. Willem Lodewijk de Visscher, baron of Celles, acquired the village in the early 18th century. The family owned the village until the end of the 18th century.
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site