Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on October 6, 1819 and again on December 4, 1928.
The fortress of Lillo, on the mouth of the river Schelde played a major role in the Dutch/Belgian history. In the 17th century the Dutch held the fortress even though the Spanish Duke of Parma inundated the whole village. Lillo became part of Belgium in 1839, 9 years after the independence of Belgium from Holland.
The heart is derived from the arms of the Massieu family, Lords of Lillo. The other half is derived from the arms of the Van Dale family, Lords of Lillo in the 16th and 17th century.
The previous arms were granted on October 6, 1819 and show basically the same design, but placed in front of a tree.
As in 1816 the mayor could not state the colours of the arms, the arms were granted in the Dutch national colours (as until 1830 Belgium was part of the Netherlands).
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site