Deux écus géminés: à dextre, parti, au 1, d'azur semé de fleurs de lys d'argent; au 2, de gueules à une fasce d'argent; à senestre, parti, au 1, de gueules à un dauphin d'argent, peattré, lor[r]é et couronné d'or, posé en pal, courbé à senestre; au 2, d'argent à trois fleurs de lys d'azur, au franc-quartier de gueules chargé d'un lion d'argent.
The arms were granted on January 29, 1953.
The municipality used double shields one for each of the two villages. The left shield shows the arms for Lillois, the right the arms for Witterzee.
The arms of Lillois are derived from a manuscript dating from 1694, and show the arms of the Chapter of St. Gertrud of Nivelles, which owned many possessions in Lillois for many centuries.
The arms of Witterzee are derived from a seal from 1703. The dolphin on the right half of the shield is derived from the arms of the Caverson family. The left half with the lion and the lilies is derived from the arms of the Mertens family. Both families had several possessions and estates in Witterzee. Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site