|Heraldry of the World|
|Canada heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Canada
Province : Ontario
Arms: Per pale Gules and Azure and per chevron barry wavy Argent and Azure in chief two Loyalist civil coronets Argent in base a roundel Vert charged with a Loyalist civil coronet Argent;
Crest: A mural coronet of limestone proper charged with a frieze of steam locomotive wheels Or issuant therefrom a representation of the steam vessel Frontenac tempore 1816 Or;
Supporters: On a grassy mound Vert set with garbs Or dexter a woman habited as a Loyalist settler sinister a man habited in the uniform of the Jessup’s Loyal Rangers both proper and tempore 1784 each holding a staff proper flying on the dexter the Union Flag tempore 1784 and on the sinister the flag of the Township;
Motto : A LOYAL THREE MADE STRONGER IN ONE;
The arms were officially granted on March 5, 1999.
The use of the red, blue and white refers to the Union Jack of the Loyalist era and thus to the early history and the present name of the Township. The Loyalist coronets further emphasize this aspect of the Township’s heritage. The three sections of the shield indicate the union of the three former municipalities: the red section represents the Village of Bath, the blue section the Township of Ernestown, and the green disc surrounded by the heraldic version of water represents the Township of Amherst Island, located in Lake Ontario.
The mural coronet is a traditional heraldic symbol for a municipal government. It is made of limestone masonry to represent the distinctive limestone formations found in many parts of the Township. The steam locomotive wheels symbolize the Grand Trunk Railway which ran through the Township in the 1850s. The steam ship Frontenac was a historic Great Lakes vessel, and it appeared in the arms granted to the former Village of Bath.
The man and woman represent not only the Loyalist pioneers but also all the men and women who have helped build the community over its history. The agricultural lands of the Township are represented by the green mound, while the wheatsheaves refer to the ongoing importance of agricultural production. A wheatsheaf also appeared on the emblem of the former Township of Ernestown.
The motto indicates the concept of loyalty as well as the amalgamation of three communities into a single unit.