Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on March 15, 1966 and changed on April 1, 1985.
The history of the municipality is very complicated, with many families owning small plots. In the 12th century the largest part of the village was owned by the Lords of Grimbergen. Even though in later centuries only parts belonged to Grimbergen, the seal of the village council showed the Grimbergen arms from 1423-1775. The first arms were based on the seal and also show the Grimbergen arms. The supporter in the old arms is St. Martin, the local patron saint.
The new arms are a combination of the old arms of Meise and the canting wolf taken from the seal of Wolvertem (Wolvertem did not have its own arms).
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Viane-Awouters and Warlop, 2002
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site