Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on July 21, 1923, changed on March 26, 1980 and slightly changed on June 11, 1991.
The first arms were granted in 1923. The arms show a bridge over a canting stream (Beek) and have been used for quite some time before. The knight supporter holds a banner with the lion of Flanders and/or the Marquisate or Rode (without bordure).
After the mergers in 1964/1977 the municipality adopted new arms, based on the arms of the former municipality Schelderode. These arms are based on the old seal of the Marquisate of Rode, known since 1717. See Schelderode for its meaning.
As the whole new municipality was part of the Marquisate of Rode, it was considered more logical arms for the new municipality as compared to the old arms of Merelbeke. The only change with the Schelderode arms was the colour of the bordure, which was corrected to the historical red. The arms of the Marquisate were also used by the former Bottelare municipality.
In 1991 some small changes were made to correct the image (the bordure on the flag for example), but no changes were made in the blazoning.
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site