National Arms of Ghana
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of Ghana
National Coat of arms of GHANA
The arms were adopted on March 4, 1957.
The National coat of arms of Ghana is is composed of a shield, divided into four quarters by a green St. George's cross, rimmed with gold. The following are the symbols in the quarters and their meaning:
- 1. The crossed linguist staff and ceremonial sword on a blue background represent the local administration.
- 2. A heraldic castle on a heraldic sea with a light blue background represents the national government.
- 3. A Cocoa tree position represents the agricultural wealth of the country.
- 4. A mine shaft represents the mineral wealth of the country.
- 5. A gold lion in the center of the St. George's Cross represents the continued link between Ghana and the Commonwealth.
- 6. The crest consists of a black five-pointed star rimmed with gold standing on a wreath of red, gold and green. The crest represents the lodestar of African Freedom.
- 7. Two eagle supporters, with black star medals suspended from a ribbon of the national colours around their necks symbolise protectors with strength, very clear and attentive eyes keeping watch over the country.
- 8. The motto is FREEDOM AND JUSTICE.
Previously the British colony used only a badge showing an elephant before a palm tree, identical to Sierra Leone and Gambia, but with the letters GC for Gold Coast, the colonial name of Ghana.