|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Rheinland-Pfalz
District (Kreis) : Neuwied
Additions : 1904 Heddesdorf; 1969/1970 Altwied, Engers, Feldkirchen (Rhein) (1966 Fahr, Gönnersdorf, Hüllenberg, Rockenfeld, Wollendorf), Gladbach, Heimbach-Weis (1960 Heimbach, Weis), Irlich, Niederbieber-Segendorf, Oberbieber
Neuwied was founded as a city by the Counts of Wied in 1653. The oldest seal dates from 1681 and shows the arms of the Counts of Wied, a shield with 4 red bends and a peacock. In the 19th century the peacock was often shown in natural colours, but otherwise the peacock has always been blue.
The arms are known for the Counts of Wied since the early 13th century, their meaning is not known. Until the 1970s the arms only showed the peacock, see below.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the Abadie albums
Local emergency money with the arms from 1921
The arms on a 1960s matchox label
Arms according to Stadler, 1960s