|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted in 1908 and are based on the arms of the State of Mainz. The village became part of the State of Mainz in the early 14th century and the Archbishops of Mainz granted the city rights in 1324. The arms first appear on the seal of the city dating from 1366. The arms remained unchanged until 1803, when the State of Mainz was abolished. From 1803-1887 only a cross was used in the arms. In 1887 the old arms were restored.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.