|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
Ockenheim received city rights in 1363 from the Archbishops of Mainz, but the town never developed into a large city.
The oldest known seal dates from 1457 and shows, as all later seals, the above arms. The arms are derived from the arms of the Lords of Ockenheim, who ruled the town as vassals for the Archbishops.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.