|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on August 26, 1896.
The municipality of Merscheid was founded in 1808, received city rights in 1856 and was renamed Ohligs in 1891.
Ohligs developed around the railway lines and a symbol for the railways should thus be included. The original design showed three fields, the winged wheel for the railway, the red lion of the Counts of Berg, who ruled the area for centuries, and some small stars, indicating that the city developed from many different villages and hamlets. In the final design the lion was removed and only the wheel and stars remained.
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Abadie albums
Literature : Background : Joachim Beeck, Meerbusch