Former province of the Kingdom of Prussia, at present in Western Poland.
For the former German city Posen, see Poznań.
The arms were officially granted on February 28, 1881.
Posen is an area in Western Poland, which became part of Prussia in 1779-1793, in 1807 it became a part of French-controlled Warsaw Duchy, to return to Prussian rule in 1815. Posen used to be a official German name used until 1918; the historical Polish name for the province is Wielkopolska (Greater Poland) - Grosspolen in German.
In 1813 part of the area became Russian after the division of Poland and redefinition of the borders. The arms show the Prussian eagle with the arms of Wielkopolska as an escutcheon.
The supporters, crown and helmet are those used in all Prussian provinces and could be used at wish.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Schurdel, H.D. Flaggen und Wappen Deutschland. Battenberg, Augsburg 1995.