|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
After the Versailles treaty in 1919, a large part of the Prussian provinces Posen and Westpreussen were transferred to the new Polish republic. The remaining area was transformed into a bufferzone, or Grenzmark named Posen-Westpreussen.
The arms were from 1925-1929 identical to the arms of Westpreussen, without the supporters and helmet. In 1929 the Polish eagle was replaced by a small shield showing the colours of the flags of Westpreussen (black-white-black) and Posen (white-black-white).
In 1938 the Grenzmark ceased to exist.
Literature : Schurdel, H.D. Flaggen und Wappen Deutschland. Battenberg, Augsburg 1995.