Quarterly: 1st, Argent, a galley, sail furled, oars in action Sable, flagged Gules; 2nd, Argent, on a rock a ruined salt-works Proper; 3rd, Azure, a salmon naiant Argent; 4th, Gules, three rings Or, gemmed Azure.
Above the Shield is placed a mural coronet suitable to a Burgh and in an Escrol under the same this Motto "Per Mare Per Terras".
The arms were officially granted on December 12, 1932.
Saltcoats was created a Burgh of Barony in 1528.
The arms are based on the device on the Burgh seal adopted in 1892. The galley recalls the former shipbuilding and shipping interests of the town; the ruined salt works are a reminder of the salt-making from sea water and ashes which was carried on there until early in the nineteenth century; the salmon is for the fishing industry; the gemmed ring on the red field is from the Eglinton arms.
The Latin motto - "By sea and by land" - comes from the seal
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
The arms in wood (source)
Literature : Urquhart, 1974; seal from Porteous, 1906.