Sleaford

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

Overseas possessions


  • Total pages in the British section : 3,275

SLEAFORD

Incorporated into : 1974 North Kesteven

Arms (crest) of Sleaford

Official blazon

Arms : Gules on a Chevron Or three Estoiles Sable on a Chief Argent as many Trefoils slipped Vert.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours an Eagle wings extended and head downwards and to the sinister proper holding in the beak an Ear of Wheat stalked and leaved Or.

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on October 26, 1950.

The lower portion of the shield is the arms of the Carre family, closely associated with the town in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, and founded of the local almshouses and grammar school. The three trefoils are from the arms of the Herveys, Marquesses of Bristol and Lords of the Manor.

The eagle refers to the town's links with the R.A.F., especially through the R.A.F. College at Cranwell. The ear of wheat refers to agriculture.

The arms are presently used by the town council


Literature : Information provided by the North Kesteven council and http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk