Country : France
Département : Haut-Rhin
|French||Parti: au 1er de gueules à la fasce d'argent, au 2e d'azur au sapin arraché d'or.|
|English||No blazon/translation known. Please click here to send your (heraldic !) blazon or translation|
Thann received city rights in the 13th century. The oldest seal already showed two canting pine trees (Tanne in German). In 1496 the arms were augmented by the Austrian arms, as the region belonged to the Habsburg family, Archdukes of Austria at the time. In 1498 Maximilian of Austria modified the arms. The new arms showed the pine tree in the sinister field and in the dexter field St. Thiébault, the local patron saint. The arms were registered in the Roll of Arms of King Louis XIV in 1697, but as the older version, without the patron saint. The above arms were granted on March 16, 1896 by Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany.
The city has the right to augment the arms with the War Cross 1914-1918 with palm (granted August 17, 1919), and the War Cross 1939-1945 with silver star (granted May 27, 1952).
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The arms in the Café Sanka album +/- 1932
The arms in an album from 1938
The arms on a tobacco card by Laurens
Cards twinning Thann and Triberg im Schwarzwald
Literature: Wilsdorf, C.; Martin, P. and Gall, R. : Armorial des communes du Haut-Rhin. 1er volume, chef-lieux de canton. Colmar, 1963.
This page is part of the French heraldry portal
Selected collector's items from France:
Support the site: