|Heraldry of the World |
|Lithuanian heraldry portal|
The arms were granted on April 26, 1792 and again on March 8, 1997.
The original arms were granted at the same time as the city rights, by Grand-Duke Stanislaus Augustus. The arms showed a man weighing flax, as the region was a major flax producer and exporter. Later the same year the arms and city rights were abolished. Only in 1997 the historical arms were restored.
Literature : Rimsa, 1998