|Heraldry of the World |
Heráldica del mundo
|Spanish heraldry portal|
Escut caironat: de gules, una faixa d'argent. Per timbre, una corona mural de ciutat.
The arms were officially granted on May 12, 1983.
Valls developed around the church of Sant Joan and later towards the castle, built by the archbishop Oleguer in 1130. The jurisdiction over the town was divided between the king and the archbishop of Tarragona. The city (Valls received this title in 1883) is known mainly by the tradition of the "castellers" (groups of people that make human towers).
The arms have been, ever since: Gules, a bar Argent. They show a city's mural crown at the top.
Literature : Image taken from Wikipedia;background from Enric Fontvila, Barcelona.