|Heraldry of the World |
|Lithuanian heraldry portal|
County : Marijampolė
Vilkaviškis probably received city rights in 1660, but there is no historical evidence thereof. In 1697 the city rights were either granted, or augmented. In 1791 the city rights were confirmed and the city also received its emblem, a red fleur-de-lis on a blue field. The fleur-de-lis was derived from the arms of the Pac family, who ruled the city at the time. The arms were abolished in 1792.
In the early 20th century unofficial arms, showing a natural lily were used, and in 1969 the old arms were restored. These were banned again in 1970.
Finally the arms were officially restored on January 23, 1996.
Literature : Rimsa, 1998