West Suffolk (county)
|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1974 Suffolk
Arms : Azure a Cross fleury between five Martlets Or on a Chief Sable between two Mitres Argent two Arrows in saltire also Argent enfiled with an ancient Crown Gold.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours in front of two Arrows in saltire proper a Castle with two domed towers flags flying thereon Or.
Motto: 'FOR KING LAW AND PEOPLE'.
The arms were officially granted on June 9, 1959.
Until the dissolution of the Abbeys, most of West Suffolk was administered by the Abbey of St. Edmundsbury. The abbey was established by King Edward the Confessor, whose attributed arms form the main part of the shield. The King's arms form the basis of many other civic arms in England for instance Westminster and Bournemouth. The chief has the familiar symbol of St. Edmund - two crossed arrows passing through a crown.
For more about the legend of St, Edmund see Saint Edmundsbury. The mitres also recall the abbey.
The castle in the crest was used as a symbol by some regiments associated with the county of Suffolk.
The motto is a translation of part of the Magna Carta, which has connections with Bury St. Edmunds.
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site