|Heraldry of the World|
|Swiss heraldry portal|
Armorial de Suisse
Canton : Zürich
Additions : 1893 Aussersihl, Enge, Fluntern, Friesenberg, Hirslanden, Hottingen, Industriequartier, Leimbach, Oberstrass, Riesbach, Schwamendingen, Triemli, Unterstrass, Wiedikon, Wipkingen, Witikon, Wollishofen; 1934 Affoltern, Albisrieden, Altstetten, Höngg, Oerlikon, Seebach
The arms are probably derived from the banner of the city, which was divided per bend silver and blue. The oldest use of the divided shield as arms of the city or canton dates from 1389, when it appears as a small shield in the seal of the Imperial Court (Hofgericht) in Zürich (see below), which only existed for 4 decades from 1362-1404.
The oldest known seal with the arms of Zürich in the base of the seal.
Seals of the city are known since 1225 and 1347 and show the local patron saints Fellix and Regula. All later seals show only the saints. Only in 1803 the city started to use the arms in its seals.
The first seal (used from 1225)
The third seal (used 13th century)
The fourth seal (used from 1250)
The sixth seal (used from 1352)
The city did, however, use the arms on its coins since at least 1400.
The arms on a 15th century coin
The arms on a 1560 coin
The arms on a 1563 coin
The arms on a 1588 coin
The arms on a 1624 coin
The arms on a 1730 coin
The arms on a 1813 coin
The colours are known since 1437, and during the 15th century the silver and blue arms appear all over the Canton. The arms have never really changed since, see also the cantonal arms.
The city often uses a mural crown and two lions as supporters to distinguish the arms from the cantonal arms, but normally Swiss town and municipal arms are shown without any additional attributes.
Arms of villages merged with Zürich in 1893
The arms in a German album +/- 1910
The arms in a German quartett game +/- 1910
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (+/- 1910)
The arms in the Abadie albums
Variations of the arms in the Kaffee Hag albums 1914-1960
Literature : Ziegler, 1977; Schneiter, 1967