From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Province : Limburg
Incorporated into : 1977 Halen

Wapen van Zelem/Coat of arms (crest) of Zelem

Official blazon

Twee zwarte balken op een zilveren veld, gouden vrijkwartier met twee zwarte balken en bend, samengesteld uit twaalf zilveren en roode stukken.


The arms were granted on December 20, 1904.

The arms are derived from the arms as seen on the oldest known seal of the local council, dating from 1434. The two main bars are derived from the arms of the Lords of Diest, who owned the village in the 13th and 14th century. The free quarter shows the arms as used by Arnold van Diest in 1313. Hendrik van Diest, Lord of Zelem only used the Van Diest arms in 1360. Why the two versions were combined is not known.

Wapen van/Blason de Zelem

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930

Literature: Servais, 1955

Belgium heraldry portal

This page is part of the
Belgium heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

Civic heraldry:

  • Total pages in the Belgium section : 4,852
  • of which images : 3,616

Other heraldry:

Contact and Support


© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site