52nd Engineer Battalion, US Army

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Usa.jpg
US heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United States
Usa.flag.gif

52ND ENGINEER BATTALION, US ARMY

Arms of 52nd Engineer Battalion, US Army

(Coat of Arms)
Arms of 52nd Engineer Battalion, US Army

(Distinctive Unit Insignia)


Official blazon

Shield: Gules, the sails of an old Dutch windmill conjoined in saltire between in pale a fleur-de-lis and a wagon wheel, all Argent.
Crest: On a wreath Argent and Gules, in front of a crescent of the first an eagle's head erased Or crowned with an ancient imperial crown Gold and charged on the neck with a cross patée of the second.
Motto: NOUS SERVONS (We Serve).

Distinctive Unit Insignia. Description: A Silver metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Gules, the sails of an old Dutch windmill conjoined in saltire between in pale a fleur-de-lis and a wagon wheel, all Argent. Attached below the shield a Silver scroll inscribed "NOUS SERVONS" in Red letters.

Origin/meaning

Shield: Red and white are the colors of the Engineer Corps. The windmill, taken from the former seal of the City of New York, represents the territory in which the regiment was organized; the wheel alludes to the service of the regiment in the Transportation Corps. The fleur-de-lis symbolizes World War I service.

Crest: The crescent, which appears on the flags of Algeria and of Tunisia, has long been a symbol of North Africa. It commemorates the Battalion's assault landing during World War II while participating in the Algeria-French Morocco campaign and action in the Tunisia campaign. The crowned eagle appears on the coat of arms of Palermo, capital of Sicily; it refers to the unit's war service during the action in that area. The four arms of the cross, taken from the coat of arms of Rome, capital of Italy, stands for the Battalion's participation in four campaigns through Italy from Naples to the North Apennines.

The coat of arms was originally approved for the 39th Engineer Regiment on 17 June 1937. It was redesignated for the 19th Engineer Regiment (Combat) on 19 September 1940. The insignia was redesignated for the 52d Armored Engineer Battalion on 4 September 1952. The coat of arms was redesignated and amended to add a crest for the 52d Engineer Battalion on 30 July 1968. The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 39th Engineer Regiment on 17 June 1937. It was redesignated for the 19th Engineer Regiment (Combat) on 19 September 1940. It was redesignated for the 52d Armored Engineer Battalion on 4 September 1952. The insignia was redesignated for the 52d Engineer Battalion (Construction) on 21 March 1968.


Follow us on Facebook.jpg

(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)

Donate.jpg

Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Rate these arms / rate this page :
0.00
(0 votes)

(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)



Literature: Images from Wikimedia Commons. Information from The Institute of Heraldry, US Army.