|Heraldry of the World|
|Irish heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Ireland
Araltais in Éirinn
County : Offaly
Gules, between three fountains two lions rampant combatant or supporting a cross pattée argent.
The arms were granted to Birr Urban District Council on 20 October, 1953.
The two lions represent the O’Carrolls who ruled the area until the 17th century. The red shield and three circles stand for the Parsons who ruled the area after the O’Carrolls as the Earls of Rosse. It was after them that Birr was called “Parsonstown” from 1620 until 1899. The earliest evidence of settlement in the town is that of 6th century monastery which was founded by St. Brendan of Birr and is symbolised by the white cross. The blue and white wavy lines refer to the name and location of Birr. Its name comes from the Irish "Biorra," meaning "plain of water" as it sits on the Rivers Camcor and Little Brosna.
Literature : Image and information provided by Stan Zamyatin Moore.