BLYTH (Municipal borough council)
Arms : Per fesse Gules and Azure on a Fesse Argent between in chief an Ancient Crown Or and in base a Lymphad proper flags flying to the dexter Gules three Ermine Spots Sable.
Crest : Issuant out of a Mural Crown Sable charged with three Miner's Picks shafts upwards Or a demi Lion Gold holding in the dexter paw a Miner's Lamp proper.
Motto : 'WE GROW BY INDUSTRY'.
The arms were granted on January 24, 1923.
The arms combine the gold crown on red of Tynemouth Priory with the ermine fess of the Delaval family. At the base of the shield is a lymphad to show that Blyth is a port.
The crest has a black mural crown charged with gold picks to show the borough was based on coal mining. The gold lion is taken from the Northumberland County Council arms and holds a miner's lamp.
The arms are currently used by the Blyth town council.
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Image and background provided by Laurence Jones