Incorporated into : 1997 Brighton and Hove
Arms: Argent, two dolphins naiant sable, a bordure azure charged with six martlets Or.
Crest: On a wreath of the colours, Two dolphins in saltire, heads downwards, sable between as many branches of coral gules.
Motto: 'IN DEO FIDEMUS' - We trust in God
The arms were granted on April 14, 1897 and confirmed in 1972.
The two dolphins have a lengthy history in the town of Brighton, the origin of which can not now easily be traced. The Commissioners of Brighton (the Local Government Body during the first half of the 19th century) used the device of two dolphins in their seal. It is now a matter of speculation whether the dolphins were adopted because of the town's association with the sea or because they had adopted the emblem of one of the leading families in the town. Both the Scrase family (who were associated with the Manor of Brighton and represented amongst the Commissioners), and the Lashmar family (one of whose members was High Constable in 1799) bore dolphins on their arms.
The crest shows again the two dolphins, together with two branches of coral, a reference to the sea and the local climate.
The motto means "We trust in God".
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Information leaflet issued by the Borough of Brighton.