Burntisland

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

BURNTISLAND

Burgh

Incorporated into : 1975 Kirkcaldy District Council (1996 Fife Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Burntisland

Official blazon

Gules, on the sea in base undy Argent and Azure, a three­ masted galiot Or, on deck two mariners, her sails furled and pennants flying Proper.

Above the Shield is placed a mural coronet and in Escrols over and below the Shield these Mottoes "Portus Gratiae" and "Colles Praesidio Dedit Deus".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on April 6, 1938.

Burntisland town and harbour belonged from ancient times to Dunferm­line Abbey. It was created a Royal Burgh by King James V in 1541.

The arms repeat the device on the Burgh seal, a device said to have been used by Burntisland for centuries. The ship refers to the town's long history as a seaport and its connection in more modern times with shipbuilding.

The red and gold colours of Fife are used; they are also the colours of Wemyss, a family which once owned all the lands in the neighbourhood.

Two mottoes were allowed: "Portus Gratiae" (or "Portus Salutis") was the name given to the place by the Romans because of its safe harbour; the other motto means "God gave the hills for protection". The hills referred to in the motto are Dunearn and The Binn, which guard the town to the North.

seal of Burntisland

Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Arms (crest) of Burntisland

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905

Community Council

Arms (crest) of Burntisland

Official blazon

Gules, on the sea in base undy Argent and Azure, a three masted galiot Or, on deck two mariners, her sails furled and pennants flying Proper.

Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol over the same this Motto "Portus Gratiae" and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Colles Praesidio Dedit Deus".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on April 2, 1997.

These are the Burgh arms with a crown of a community council.

Arms (crest) of Burntisland

The arms on a banner in the town (source)

Follow us on
Facebook.jpg

Mail.png
Contact us
Support the site:
Donate.jpg

Click on the image to see how to support the site !

Literature : Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 2001