Diocese of Belleville
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF BELLEVILLE (Dioecesis Bellevillensis)
Established : 1887
The hill has a dual significance; it refers to Compton Hill, the name of Belleville until 1814, and to Cahokla Mounds near which bishop Laval of Quebec established the the first mission serving the Cahokla Native Americans in 1699.
On the top of the hill is a castle which is the traditional symbol fort a city (ville). It is rendered in the precious color of gold (for ´Belle-´). Rising above the castle is a gold cross with fleur-de-lis ends to honor the French missionaries who served the Native Americans of Southern-Illinois.
Above the castle is an arched silver bar, taken from the arms of pope Leo XIII, who erected the diocese of Belleville in 1887.
The keys are the symbol of St. Peter, the patron saint of the cathedral of Belleville.
This arms appeared at first in the arms of the 3th. Bishop of Belleville, mgr. Albert Zuroweste.
Entrance to the cathedral
Arms of Bishops
John Janssen (1888-1913)
Henry J. Althoff (1913-1947)
Albert Rudolph Zuroweste (1947-1976)
William Michael Cosgrove (1976-1981)
John Nicholas Wurm (1981-1984)
James Patrick Keleher (1984-1993)
Wilton Daniel Gregory (1993-2004)
Edward Kenneth Braxton (2005-2020)
Michael McGovern (2020-present)
Arms of Auxiliary Bishops
Stanley Girard Schlarman (1979-1983)
Rate these arms / rate this page :
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)
Literature : diocesan website 4-4-2018