Diocese of Grahamstown
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF GRAHAMSTOWN
Argent on a Cross Gules a Sword wavy proper in the first quarter an Anchor Sable.
The arms were officially granted on August 12, 1949, but have been used since 1886.
The Cathedral Church in Grahamstown is dedicated to St Michael and St George and the arms combine the sword of the Archangel and the Cross of St George. The anchor links these arms to those of the Diocese of Cape Town, from which the diocese was split in 1853.
The previous arms were adopted in 1853 and have been in use until 1887.
The saltire, or St Andrew’s Cross, commemorates the founding of the Diocese, with that of Natal, on St Andrew’s Day 1853. The anchor again refers to the Diocese of Cape town.
Arms of Bishops
Nathan James Merriman (1871-1882)
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature: Images and information by Mike Oettle.