Diocese of Natal
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF NATAL
Azure, on a saltire a pastoral staff and a spear in saltire Gules, in chief a mullet of six points, Argent.
The arms were officially granted on September 30, 1952
The St Andrew’s Cross commemorates the founding of this Diocese with that of Grahamstown, on St Andrew’s Day 1853, while the star is in allusion to the Star of Bethlehem, as the Terra do Natal traditionally having been discovered by Vasco da Gama on Christmas Day 1497 while pioneering the sea route to the East.
The pastoral staff and spear were included by the College of Arms to difference the original assumed arms of the Diocese, which were not considered to be sufficiently distinctive in their original form.
The previous arms were adopted in 1893 and have been in use until 1952, but were never officially granted.
The first arms were adopted in 1853, but were also never officially granted.
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature: Images and information by Mike Oettle