Diocese of Zululand
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF ZULULAND
Sable, a bamboo cross eradicated at the foot proper, on a canton Azure bordured Argent a mullet, also Argent; a base Vert charged with an anchor Or.
The arms were officially granted on April 9, 1954.
The cross represents the bamboo (sometimes referred to as wooden) cross erected over the grave of Bishop Charles McKenzie of Central Africa, in whose memory the See was founded in 1870. McKenzie was the first Missionary Bishop sent out by the Anglican Church in a thousand years.
The black field alludes to ‘Darkest Africa’, the anchor in base links the arms to those of the Metropolitan See, while the blue canton and star links the arms with those of the Diocese of Natal, out of which Zululand was taken.
The addition by the College of Arms in 1954 of a border around the canton largely corrected the false heraldry in the earlier versions of these arms.
The previous arms were adopted in 1870 and have been in use until 1954.
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature: Images and information by Mike Oettle