DROITWICH (borough council)
Incorporated into : 1974 Wychavon
Gules a Sword of State point downwards Argent surmounted of two Lions passant Or impaling quarterly first and fourth chequy Argent and Sable second and third Gules two Barrows erect in fesse Argent
The arms were officially recorded at the Visitation of 1634 and certified by Chester Herald in 1952.
The local tradition concerning the arms has it that in the days of King John, that monarch was fain to sell all his rights here to the burgesses for an annuity, which he disposed of next day to his brother, William of the Long Sword. The town proudly assumed for its coat of arms John's lions impaled on William's sword. Two lions passant were John's arms before he came to the throne. Salt extraction has been important in Droitwich since Roman times and for five centuries the its manufacture of salt was a monopoly guarded jealously. The guild took another coat of arms showing the wicker moulds, know as barrows, and the chequered table for their accounts. The two arms were eventually placed together on one shield.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Rate these arms / rate this page :