Dunfermline

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

DUNFERMLINE

Burgh

Incorporated into : 1975 Dunfermline District Council (1996 Fife Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Dunfermline

Official blazon

Azure, on a rock Proper two lions supporting a tower with four steps Argent, masoned Sable, windows and portcullis Gules.

And in an Escrol over the same this Motto "Esto Rupes Inaccessa".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on May 12, 1909.

Dunfermline was created a Royal Burgh by King David I between 1124 and 1127. Later it was dependent on the Abbey of Dunfermline and in 1395 was set in feu to the provost, bailies and community. After the Reformation, it was created a Burgh of Regality in favour of George, 6th Earl (and later 1st Marquess) of Huntly, in 1588-89 but five years after­ wards was conveyed in regality to the Queen, Anne of Denmark. From then on, it was regarded as a Royal Burgh.

The arms are clearly based on the old Burgh seal but only eighteenth-century impressions are on record. The tower is Malcolm's Tower, the fortress of King Malcolm III (1057-1093), husband of Queen Margaret; some remains of it can still be seen in Pittencrieff Glen.

The red windows and portcullis denote its Royal owner­ship and the lions supporting it are considered to be Royal lions.

The Latin motto­ "May the rock be inaccessible" appears to recall that Malcolm's Tower was built on a site "strikingly adapted for a stronghold".

seal of Dunfermline

Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Arms of Dunfermline

The arms in the town
Arms (crest) of Dunfermline

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Arms (crest) of Dunfermline

The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925

District Council

Additions : 1975 Burghs of Cowdenbeath, Culross, Dunfermline, Inverkeithing, Lochgelly; districts of Dunfermline, Lochkelly
Incorporated into : 1996 Fife Area council

Arms (crest) of Dunfermline

Official blazon

Azure, on a rock Proper two lions supporting a tower with four steps Argent, masoned Sable, windows and portcullis Gules.

Above the Shield is placed a coronet appropriate to a statutory District, videlicet:-a circlet richly chased, from which are issuant eight thistle-heads (three and two halves visible) Or; and in an Escrol under the Shield this Motto" Esto Rupes lnaccessa ".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on February 16, 1976.

These are the Burgh arms with a crown of a district council.


Follow us on
Facebook.jpg

Mail.png
Contact us
Support the site:
Donate.jpg

Click on the image to see how to support the site !

Literature : Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 1979, 2001