|Heraldry of the World|
|South Africa heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of South Africa
Arms: Or, a lion rampant argent, langued gules, overall a fess gules.
Crest: Issuant from an earl’s coronet, a dexter arm vambraced, the hand proper, holding a scimitar proper, hilted or.
The arms are not officially granted.
The shield is taken from the Bruins family, to which the land on which the town was eventually laid out was granted by Lord Charles Somerset, and the crest from the De Villiers family which later owned the land.
The arms were agreed on by the newly formed town council in 1941.
It was proposed to obtain a grant from the College of Arms in London. However, in view of the colouring, the heralds wanted nothing to do with the arms. In view of the expenditure already laid out in establishing these arms, it was decided to ignore the College, and to continue using the arms. They remained in use until the municipality’s incorporation into South Peninsula (and since 2000 Cape Town).
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !